Did you know that it only takes 26 seconds for the toxins in your skincare to go into your blood stream?
Of the 82,000 ingredients found in personal care products, 10,500 are industrial chemicals. Many of them are carcinogens, pesticides, hormone disruptors and degreasers. Scary really, isn’t it?
We now know that the skin is not an impenetrable barrier. Up to 60% of what we put on our skin goes into our bloodstream within 26 seconds. The rest stays in your skin or evaporates.
And if you’re thinking ‘this doesn’t affect me since I only use natural skin care products’, then think again. Many of the supposedly natural skin care products still contain industrial chemicals that strip the skin of important fats, clog pores and even worse, have been scientifically proven to disrupt hormones and cause cancer.
On average we have 400 to 800 chemical residues in our bodies already.
So how can we stop putting on more chemicals through our skin care routine?
First you can start by reading the label. If there are chemicals listed or words you struggle to pronounce, don’t buy the product. Compounds like Methylsilanol Tri-PEG-8 Glyceryl Cocoate will not be good for your skin or for you. Here are some of the harmful chemicals routinely found in skin products:
- Parabens - Biochemical or cellular level changes, endocrine disruption, allergies/immunotoxicity.
- DEA - Reacts to form cancer causing nitrosamines. Contributes to liver damage and skin cancer.
- BHA, BHT - Butylated Hydroxyanisole and Butylated Hydroxytoluene. Can disrupt hormones and cause cancer. It is also extremely toxic to fish and wildlife.
- Poly acrylamide - Used to create a thin coating on skin, hair or nails, is made of multiple molecules of acrylamide, a confirmed neurotoxin which impairs brain function.
- PEGs - Polyethylene Glycols. Prompt allergic reactions and causes damage to genes. PEGs are known to contain the contaminants ethylene oxide (known carcinogen) and 1,4- dioxane (suspected carcinogen). Forty six percent of ‘natural’ and ‘organic’ personal care products contain 1,4- dioxane.
- Imidazolidinyl urea - Known to cause allergies and immune suppression. It also creates carcinogenic formaldehyde which then acts as a product preservative.
- “Fragrance" - Can contain dozens, even hundreds, of chemicals—including hormone-disrupting phalates and synthetic musks. These are known to be, immune suppressors, eco-toxins and highly allergenic.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate - SLS/SLES are foaming agents. They are surfactants that can cause skin irritation or allergies. The sulphonation process involved creates nitrosamines, 90% of which are considered to be carcinogenic.
- Oxybenzone - The most common sunscreens on the market use chemical filters such as oxybenzone. Oxybenzone is a known endocrine disruptor and can alter thyroid function. It’s also linked to skin allergies. Chemical sunscreens should be avoided at all costs—especially with children. Oxybenzone can also be found in moisturizers, lip balm, and makeup.
So why are these toxic chemicals put into our skincare?
Many of these harmful chemicals are used as preservatives in the products so that they can remain usable for years.
So how can you avoid these chemicals in your skincare?
Reading the label is one of the best ways of knowing what is in your skincare products. Again, if you can’t pronounce it then you shouldn’t be applying it. Check here for more specifics on chemicals in most skin care products: http://www.safecosmetics.org/get-the-facts/chem-of-concern/
But now you don’t have to put up with skin care that gives you cancer. Helia contains no chemicals, no toxins…. just sunshine, and pure ingredients. If you are wanting to keep your body safe, then make the switch to real health, and stop putting chemicals onto and into your body.
Wishing you the best of health,